More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 June 22, 10:55:59

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540275 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6519 Members
Latest Member: Gegahex
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Learn To Study
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Learn To Study  (Read 5148 times)
fff
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
Learn To Study
« on: 2005 August 17, 02:03:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Does 'Learn To Study' have any longterm effect on my Sims, other than allowing them to complete their homework faster and fulfilling the 'Learn To Study' want? I always make sure each of my kids learns to study from an adult, which is sometimes a pain to organise when you have a busy household, so is it really necessary? Does it affect their studying in Uni, for example, or skillbuilding later on in life?
Marvin Kosh
Feckless Fool

View Profile WWW
Re: Learn To Study
« Reply #1 on: 2005 August 17, 02:07:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm fairly sure that it affects student assignments.  If you have one student help another with an assignment in its entirety, this will also result in the 'Taught Sim To Study' memory, provided they haven't already learned, for example if they're Create Students Sims.

Ancient Sim
Dead Member

Back from the dead ...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: 2005 August 17, 05:23:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If they've learnt to study, they don't lose anywhere near as much fun when they have to do homework, or when they're at school.  Really playful Sim kids can come home with their fun bars totally in the red if they haven't been taught to study. 

Some favourite Sim thingies:  Film:  Lord of the Sims; Song: Losing My Sim by SIM; Book: Interview With the Sim by Sim Rice; Smell: Fried Simions; Colour: Simple.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2005 August 17, 07:11:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Learning to study doesn't affect fun drain directly. It does, however, add +3 to the rate of Homework doing (base rate of 3), which doubles the rate at which you complete your homework, and therefore, halves the time you remain affected by homework drain. Having an instructor is an additional +3, for a total of +200% for having the study skill AND receiving help.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
syberspunk
Heretic
Terrible Twerp

ISTJ - what a crazy random happenstance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: 2005 August 17, 15:49:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Learning to study doesn't affect fun drain directly. It does, however, add +3 to the rate of Homework doing (base rate of 3), which doubles the rate at which you complete your homework, and therefore, halves the time you remain affected by homework drain. Having an instructor is an additional +3, for a total of +200% for having the study skill AND receiving help.

Ahhh... interesting. Well... maybe I'll tutor my dormies, so not only to get some money, which I know isn't much, but if anything to speed up their rates so that hopefully they won't leave so much clutter around the dorms.  Roll Eyes

As for the fun thing... maybe Ancient Sim has JenFlowers' sometimes faster fun homework hack? I don't think it affects dorm assignments, but at least for children/teen homework, I believe learning to study boosts speed, and consistently having good grades gives a tiny fun boost instead of drain. Well, here are the features of that hack which you can find here:

Quote from: JenFlower
FEATURES:
1: Serious Students (those with their Playfulness Attribute of 4 bars or less) will get a raise in their Fun Motive while at school and while doing their homework.
2: Students with an A-, A, or A+ will finish their homework faster and get a very tiny fun boost.
3: Students who are being helped with their homework will find that homework is not such a fun-sucker and their social bar should get a tiny boost.
(I added this in so that those student who just can't get an A, will at least have a chance to make homework a little easier for them..It doesn't really raise the fun bar, but they rate at which is goes down will be slower.)
.....and my favorite part....
4: Homework will only be given occasionally. When the student gets off the bus and checks their report card, you will then see a message appear in the right corner of the screen letting you know that they do not have homework that day.

Extra Notes:
1 - The fun increase (for those students who qualify) does not begin until the little blue progress bar begins to rise. The initial few minutes of homework will not be fun, but as the homework progresses, so does the fun.
2 - The student's grade will continue to rise even though they don't get homework. Grades are more affected by undone homework and missing school. I think mood affects this as well. Undone homework will still affect their grade. Make sure they finish the homework they do get.
3 - Some of the fun boosts will be very noticable and others will just keep the fun bar from dropping rapidly. It all depends on the combination of qualities your student has...serious, 'A' students, who are being helped with their homework will see the highest fun boost.

For those who are highly interested, I can give a quick summary of how homework speed works in the game without this hack:
-Homework speed begins at 3%.
-When the student is being helped by a family member, add an extra 3%.
-After they receive the memory that they have been taught how to study, add another 3%.

With this hack, all of that remains, but I have added a +8 increase to their homework speed when they are an A-, A, A+ student. (I got my Sim to finish his homework in about 1/2 hour - 45 minutes)

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2005 August 17, 18:46:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Homework is easy: Macro->Do Homework. Tongue

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Baroness
cwieberdink
Retarded Reprobate

Dark and evil penguins!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2005 August 17, 19:52:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Will sim children who are taught to study ever do homework autonomously?  Or is that one of those interactions like woohoo that you have to command them to do?

C

Darkerdink -- aide to Dark_Trepie.  Now with moar dark!
Baroness
Katze
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2005 August 17, 21:17:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Will sim children who are taught to study ever do homework autonomously?  Or is that one of those interactions like woohoo that you have to command them to do?

C

I never noticed them doing homework without me directing them to do it even with the study skill.

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of  
the strong."  
     ---Gandhi
fff
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2005 August 18, 02:40:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks for clearing that up. Looks like I'm stuck with having to tutor the little brats still....  Roll Eyes
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: