More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 June 28, 03:08:40

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540275 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6519 Members
Latest Member: Gegahex
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Can you change life stage durations?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Can you change life stage durations?  (Read 3852 times)
Simbiiznas
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
Can you change life stage durations?
« on: 2006 March 08, 00:40:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I am really only interested in shortening the "Teen" life stage to around 6 or 7 days.  Why you ask?  Maxis uses a rather uniform way of defining life stage durations.  Before the Uni ep it translated as follows:

Cycle-RL Years/Sim Days
Infant-2/3
Toddler-4/5
Child-7/8
Teen-12/15
Adult-30/29
Elder-25/25

Before I continue let me explain how I arrived at these RL numbers.  I classify the "Child" stage to be the grades K-6 in American schools.  I classify the "Adult" stage as begining at the age insurance companies consider you an adult, 25, and I classify the "Elder" stage as  begining at the age of 55 because that is when you qualify for most senior discounts (AARP is 50 but that just sounds low for me and SSA retirement is 67 but that sounds too high).  "Infants" are ages 0 and 1, while "Toddlers" are the 2-5 gap between infants and children.  This leaves "Teens" to cover the ages of 13-24.  Here is the Uni breakdown:

Cycle-RL Years/Sim Days
Infant-2/3
Toddler-4/5
Child-7/8
Teen-6/15
YA-6/na
Adult-30/29
Elder-25/25

The teen stage is split into 13-18 being teen and 19-24 being YA.  The resulting RL age breakdown is as follows:
Infant:0-1
Toddler:2-5
Child:6-12
Teen:13-18
YA:19-24
Adult:25-54
Elder:55-79

Back to my point, after the Uni expansion the teen cycle is about twice as long as it should be.  I realize that you can send you teen to Uni anytime but I would have a more realistic scenario that forces you to choose weather or not you want to go to college on or before the 9 day.  If you choose to go then you leave by day 9 otherwise it is like you opted to not go to college and cannot get into Uni.  Appropriate warnings leading up to day 9 would be nice.  I realize this isn't really that big of a deal but I think Maxis should have programmed it this way to begin with just to keep time continuity.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
Re: Can you change life stage durations?
« Reply #1 on: 2006 March 08, 00:46:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

There is no continuity. I did a mathematical breakdown of this fact awhile back.The lengths are basically arbitrary based on what Maxis perceives to be more "interesting" to the audience, while retaining sufficient length to actually be noticeable.

Hence why pregnancy drags on for a seemingly elephantine 3 days, completely out of scale with everything else, and why the teen stage is so interminably long in comparison: It's supposed to cater towards the game's core market audience and the ratings tag.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Duchess
gali
Crazy Lollipop
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2006 March 08, 00:48:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You can do it with the SimPe - no need of hack for that.
Simbiiznas
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2006 March 08, 00:49:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Aside from the YA college stage there appears to be continuity as I just demonstated.  Can you point me to the post where you proved otherwise?  Yes Prenancy is streched out but that is for similar reasons as YA being "unique".  You can't have 1/2 day semesters or 1 day pregnancies.

You can change it globally with SimPE?
« Last Edit: 2006 March 08, 00:55:18 by Simbiiznas » Logged
Duchess
gali
Crazy Lollipop
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2006 March 08, 00:51:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

with the SimPe - not globally, only personally. But it takes few minutes to do that, without adding more redundant hacks to the game.
RainbowTigress
Sucky Name Person
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2006 March 08, 01:23:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You could try Inge's Age Group Tweak here: 

http://www.simlogical.com/sl/Sims2Pages/Sims2patches.htm

It's at the bottom of the page.  Be sure to read the directions.  Inge labels this as HIGHLY EXPERIMENTAL.

This package contains the BCON that deals with how long each age stage lasts.  You can edit it with SimPe to make boring ages last less time, or keep adults fertile longer etc.
Ancient Sim
Dead Member

Back from the dead ...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: 2006 March 08, 06:21:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've been using Inge's agecons for a while now and it works flawlessly in my game.  I use it to give 10 extra years to adults (and 10 less to elders), but I altered all the age-groups when I first used it.  My teens always go to Uni when they've 11 days left, mainly because those extra 4 days increases the age-gap between themselves and their parents and that makes no sense.

Some favourite Sim thingies:  Film:  Lord of the Sims; Song: Losing My Sim by SIM; Book: Interview With the Sim by Sim Rice; Smell: Fried Simions; Colour: Simple.
maxon
Obtuse Oaf

Unrepentant Inteenimator User - Kitten Killer.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2006 March 08, 08:54:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've been using Inge's agecons for a while now and it works flawlessly in my game.  I use it to give 10 extra years to adults (and 10 less to elders), but I altered all the age-groups when I first used it.  My teens always go to Uni when they've 11 days left, mainly because those extra 4 days increases the age-gap between themselves and their parents and that makes no sense.

Yes, I'd second that - I use it too.  I am interested in stories and I like the sims to stick around longer than their 'normal' lifespans, especially the adult life stage which is just too short.

Inteen for AL, yay!
Marquis
mistymage
Lipless Loser

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: 2006 March 08, 14:10:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't mess with SimPe.. I use Inga's grow up cake.. it even works on infants! That weay I control how long they are in the various stages... I use other less awesome hacks to de-age sims (mainly elder townies).

http://www.simlogical.com/ under her sims 2 downloads.

~misty

Gnohmon's sims 1 objects
"It's like that hobbit/dragon thing. You cut off one head and.. it's an exercise in futility." -Andy, Dawn of the dead remake, 2004 = trolls on MATY
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: