More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 June 28, 00:26:27

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540275 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6519 Members
Latest Member: Gegahex
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Risk Taker or Careful Treader?
0 Members and 2 Chinese Bots are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Risk Taker or Careful Treader?  (Read 16284 times)
Jysudo
Nitwitted Nuisance

Super Shooter

View Profile
Risk Taker or Careful Treader?
« on: 2006 February 28, 07:43:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

After you guys get OFB, how are you going about it?

1. Backup existing folder, then install with the hacks/ careers blah blah in downloads folder. and be philosophical if it doesn't start right? Before restoring backup and reinstall without download folder?

2. Take out download folder and install OFB. Put downloads one batch at a time into the game.

I am risk taker. I am going for option 1. How about u? just curious.
I don't have that much time to play with option2.

Most people said careers might be the screwy one. How much truth is there in that? Huh

Go Away
Simsbaby
Pinheaded Pissant

INTP - I didn't do it.

View Profile
Well....
« Reply #1 on: 2006 February 28, 08:19:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Careers have always goofed up with each expansion pack, I don't think it will be any different with OBF.

Remember - a bimbo is for life and not just for christmas!
Pegasys
Horrible Halfwit

I'm just going to Gussy Up

View Profile WWW
Re: Risk Taker or Careful Treader?
« Reply #2 on: 2006 February 28, 08:22:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm going to go more with the risky option #1. I don't have gazillions of downloads though so it won't be a huge issue. I will backup the neighborhood folder, then take out some hacks, and there are a few that won't be needed anymore (TwoJeffs, I've loved your formal wedding hack but Maxis apparently put something similar in the game, etc. ) but other than that, I'll be a beta tester Wink for hack compatibility. I won't be removing any custom content (e.g. non-hack items) they will stay and if they flash blue then they'll be removed... Oh, I only have one custom career I added just to test out how it works with the database but I'll remove it permanently now.

Check out my Sims 2 movies!

OFB version of Sims2DB now available. The database for OCD simmers like me.
aussieone
Stupid Schlemiel

I ain't 'fraid of no Inteenimater!! ABCD/EFGH

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2006 February 28, 08:47:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm definitely going with Option 2.....always have and always will

Inge: credit to Kewian for educating me as to where my clitoris is and what it does
vilia
Juvenile Jackass

Robin-chwaaan

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2006 February 28, 08:55:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'll be going with option 3 - back up everything and then install non-hacks until I get the ok.  

Boris was pretty good with posting which hacks were compatible after the release of Nightlife and I'm hoping this will happen again.  If all is good, I'll pop the hacks back in and the game will again be playable Tongue
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2006 February 28, 09:26:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The preliminary scan should be greatly expedited this time since I'll be receiving an early objects.package to subject to automated scanning.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Renatus
Nitwitted Nuisance

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2006 February 28, 09:55:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Oh, easy... I'll make a copy of my downloads, install the games on my husbands computer, put the downloads there too, and see just how big the resulting fireball really is.  Cheesy

Well, that is if I get OFB any time soon. I may not get it for a couple of months.  Undecided

Emma
Goopy Lover
Dead Member

All Pescados Suck.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: 2006 February 28, 09:57:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I am uninstalling the whole lot-then reinstalling. I'll make a copy of my hacks, but I'm not too bothered about my downloaded stuff. I'll see how much room I have left before going nuts with downloads again, and try to be as good as JadeElliott with organising it all Grin

Pegasys
Horrible Halfwit

I'm just going to Gussy Up

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: 2006 February 28, 10:05:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, that is if I get OFB any time soon. I may not get it for a couple of months.  Undecided

A couple of months?    Undecided

Help me, I'm turning into a sheep... baaa baaaa.... I actually pre-ordered and can't wait. Wednesday at the latest.

Check out my Sims 2 movies!

OFB version of Sims2DB now available. The database for OCD simmers like me.
anelca
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2006 February 28, 10:35:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

joining the flock, i have preordered my copy i the vague hope it'll run at all
i will therefore go with a modified option 2. take the thing out and then dump the whole lot back in at once
i won't be backing anything up though. it'll either run or it won't.
if i have to reinstall due to meltdown, then so be it
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2006 February 28, 10:38:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't believe in "pre-ordering" nonexistent products. It sounds like an elaborate financing scam: Let's sell this speculative, nonexistent product, and if we get enough orders, we'll actually slap one together.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
DrBeast
Pinheaded Pissant

Still they're marching on...

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2006 February 28, 10:44:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Definitely a careful treader. At least when it conserves my nervous system! I got Uni a couple of months after its release and NL 10 days or so ago. The common denominator, besides lack of money: JM Pescado! I'm a patient guy (otherwise the lab would be in smoking ruins now due to the consistent failings of my tests!), so I just wait till he's done his magic on each new EP. Since the majority of hacks I use are his, I HAVE to wait until he's done converting and/or giving them the OK before I go ahead and get the new EP. I play for fun, not for having my balls busted by stupid programming, an area where Maxis unfortunately excels at during the last years (read: after being bought up by EA).

Let the Beast inside you free!
Renatus
Nitwitted Nuisance

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2006 February 28, 12:26:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

A couple of months?    Undecided

Lack of funds. I'm not hurting by any means but things are juuuust tight enough I feel terrible if I spend money on non-essentials. I had to take ten minutes in the bookstore yesterday to convince myself that yes, it REALLY IS OKAY to spend 6 euros on a sketchbook I will use every day even if I had already spent 10 on ink and a brush the week before. I don't know why I get so fussy, if the husband can spend 30 euros on a stack of Gurps books surely I can buy myself a game.  Tongue

But I just remembered that I have some cash squirrled away that my grandmother sent me for my birthday (I thought she'd stop doing that once I got past 25, but nope!  Cheesy), and while it does need exchanging it is all mine! Mmmm, game goodness for me once it gets to Finland...

Jysudo
Nitwitted Nuisance

Super Shooter

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2006 February 28, 15:20:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

oh yes I hope the stupid blur won't be back. I am 100% leaving that in to do its destruction in my game. I cannot stand MAxis tellnig me I can't see my sims pee. Roll Eyes

Go Away
BlueSoup
Super-Deformed Bobblehead
Vacuous Vegetable

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2006 February 28, 15:33:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I will remove my downloads folder and then dump all the non-hacks in and see what happens.  I will probably have to manually reset all of the graphics and sound, options etc. to how I like it, I expect that they will laugh at my specs and move everything back to low when I install.  I don't bother backing up the game though.
skandelouslala
Lipless Loser

Don't look now but they're going to kill you.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2006 February 28, 15:36:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

When NL came out I cleaned out my downloads folder...took custom content out of houses (why I don't know, preparing for the worst I expect) and cleaned up my game rather nicely.

It was all a waste of time.

So yeah right if I'm going to spend the time to do that again and with each and every EP that comes out. 

Downloads folder comes out, game is installed, downloads go back in minus hacks.  I play for a bit to figure out how everything is supposed to act "normally" and then start testing hacks out little by little.
BlueSoup
Super-Deformed Bobblehead
Vacuous Vegetable

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2006 February 28, 15:41:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The only thing I noticed with CCin my game when I installed NL was that I now had to enable it, and then even after I did, it still didn't show up.  I exited the game and restarted and it was all there.   Undecided  I guess the game had to reset with my CC preferences.
Sleepycat
Stupid Schlemiel

meow!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2006 February 28, 15:59:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I will

1, backup my docs sims 2 folder
2, remove hacks and default replacement files
3, install OFB
4, replace default replacement files
5, install mascot kit (if I remember)
6, load the game and have a look at the new stuff

I never bother removing all my custom content.
Kala
Dimwitted Dunce

Stop Screwing!!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2006 February 28, 16:36:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I will not install OFB untill I here about what's safe and whats not.  Once I get all that info, I'll plop OFB on top of my current game.

You can spell and that's great.  What else can you do?  Being an ass doesn't count.
Marvelleaux
Puppy Fucker
Blathering Buffoon

"free-thinking cat shits outside the box"

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2006 February 28, 16:48:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'll recklessly install it after removing the hacks.  I'll play it for about 20 minutes before getting frustrated with sims insisting on doing stuff like making beds and demanding attention for good grades, and then I'll start putting the hacks back in, one by one by order of necessity, and then play the game until it fails at which point I'll come and complain about it to all of you guys.

I expect to obliterate at least 5 neighborhoods over the next 6 weeks...

Someone throw me a bone and tell me what I need to do to log into chat so I can complain in real time:) What IRC program do I need to download in order to access it?

Odi profanum vulgaris
baaaflatfit
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2006 February 28, 17:03:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I want to play it in its vanilla state first, just so I can find the new stuff easily.  Tongue

With NL, though, I just installed over everything after removing my hacks, and all was well!

Max

nectere
Heretic
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2006 February 28, 17:14:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I will copy my entire sims2 game folder off someplace safe. Remove all downloads, restore all core game files to core state. (I have done a bit of tweaking here and there). Install OFB, play for a little while to get a feel for it, whats new etc, then reinstall all my CC minus mods, play for a while make sure nothing is broken and then put all my mods back in that Pescado has deemed appropriate. I wont be getting OFB for a couple of weeks so I am sure by then he will have had a chance to look at it a bit.

Or I will just watch the boards and read up on everyone else's progress and already know what works and what doesnt by the time I get OFB
Bangelnuts
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2006 February 28, 17:18:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I will remove my Hacks and mods and custom careers and custom foods.and wait for the various modders such as Pescado,Two Jeffs and Dizzy give the word on their Fixes and Mods.

I have joined the ranks of many herre and have been banned from Brynnes forum.I must say the pleasure is all mine in having been banned from there .Self absorbed bragging is tiring  after awhile.
MissDoh
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2006 February 28, 18:03:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Me.. I am no risk taker in regards of my Sims 2 game so I always move-out my downloads folder and do a back-up before I install any new expansion pack.  I do the same before I install a patch too.  Yeah I am a wissy..... but I don't mind and live very well with that  Tongue
Ancient Sim
Dead Member

Back from the dead ...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: 2006 February 28, 19:36:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I normally take out all hacks and play for the first time with just my custom content in terms of clothing, hair, etc. (can't stand seeing them revert to Maxis clothing and bald heads).  That way I can see how everything is supposed to work, otherwise if it doesn't work as it's supposed to I'll never know.  Once I've done that (usually I only last about 20 minutes before going crazy), I add things back in batches, starting with what I feel is the least obnoxious. 

I may well be doing a full reinstall anyway, to clear things that won't go away (such as rude words instead of woo-hoo and glitchy fridges), plus I have loads of custom content I need to get rid of.  I get so fed-up deleting it in BodyShop because it takes so damn long, but I have loads of stuff that isn't really there because of missing meshes, so now seems the ideal time to do it.

Some favourite Sim thingies:  Film:  Lord of the Sims; Song: Losing My Sim by SIM; Book: Interview With the Sim by Sim Rice; Smell: Fried Simions; Colour: Simple.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: