More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 June 18, 12:19:59

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540275 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6518 Members
Latest Member: Willaemann
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Add 2nd Uni without increasing Character files - is this possible?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Add 2nd Uni without increasing Character files - is this possible?  (Read 6823 times)
Jysudo
Nitwitted Nuisance

Super Shooter

View Profile
Add 2nd Uni without increasing Character files - is this possible?
« on: 2006 January 21, 07:26:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hi there

I am thinking of adding a 2nd uni to my neighbourhood (got so friggin sick of the first that I am gg nuts).
Is it possible to do this w/o adding in extra character files?
I got all JMP's no dormies, no townies, no ss fixes. Will all these  help the 2 unis to 'share' characters instead of creating more characters?

Thanks! Smiley

Go Away
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
Re: Add 2nd Uni without increasing Character files - is this possible?
« Reply #1 on: 2006 January 21, 08:16:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

In a word, and according to the guru himself, NO!  You would have to manually delete all the ones you don't want as soon as you add the campus, and if you have NL, you would need to be VERY careful, as a lot of dormies are programmed to have downtownie friends.

One Uni is really much like another, if you dislike the one you're playing so much, why not just re-do all the community lots, and generally shift stuff around?  Change the decorations in the Neighbourhood view etc.

Zephyr Zodiac
Ancient Sim
Dead Member

Back from the dead ...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: 2006 January 21, 15:43:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If you only want one Uni, just delete the one you've got and all the dormies/professors will go to the new one, they did in mine.  The only extra character files I got were the YA's already on lots and in the Student Bin.  I didn't get any new dormies or professors.  The game won't generate new dormies unless it runs out, regardless of whether you have nodormieregen in or not (I don't).

Some favourite Sim thingies:  Film:  Lord of the Sims; Song: Losing My Sim by SIM; Book: Interview With the Sim by Sim Rice; Smell: Fried Simions; Colour: Simple.
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2006 January 21, 15:48:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Caution, though, if you have students belonging to families in your neighbourhood, make sure you move them into the students bin first!

Zephyr Zodiac
Jorenne
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2006 January 21, 16:47:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If I am creating a completely new custom hood, I assume it would be safe to add two college hoods and then delete all characters?
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2006 January 21, 16:50:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

In those circumstances, I can't see a problem, as long as you don't decide later on to delete one of them.

Zephyr Zodiac
Simsbaby
Pinheaded Pissant

INTP - I didn't do it.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2006 January 21, 16:52:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It should be fine, that is what I did in pleasant view.

Remember - a bimbo is for life and not just for christmas!
syberspunk
Heretic
Terrible Twerp

ISTJ - what a crazy random happenstance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: 2006 January 22, 13:14:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The game won't generate new dormies unless it runs out, regardless of whether you have nodormieregen in or not (I don't).

Are you absolutely sure about this? Because when I had 3 Unis added, my total character file was like close to 600. This was BEFORE installing NL (so no downtownies). The base game before Uni had barely 200.

In my new game, with Uni AND NL, I have amost 400 sims. So... it would seem to me that adding more than one Uni must generate several character files. I can't imagine all those extra files were just NPCs (Profs, Cheerleaders, Mascots, etc.) alone. They must have been unused dormies as well? I mean, where did all those character files come from?

I did not have any noxxxxieregen hacks in either of my games. But before NL, I probably only had one single death in my entire hood. And that was an intentional death of a CAS made sim.

From what Pescado has said, and from the character file count of my old game, I would think that adding other Unis would generate more character files. It seems they would definately generate several copies of NPCs, but I would like a definitive answer as to whether or several sets of dormies are generated as well?

I also liked the idea of having different Unis for my sims to attend, but I don't want to risk a BFBVFS situation if adding several Unis significantly increase the character file count. Tongue

Ste
« Last Edit: 2006 January 23, 23:28:48 by syberspunk » Logged

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2006 January 22, 13:20:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

From what Pescado has said, and from the character file count of my old game, I would think that adding other Unis would generate more character files. It seems they would definately generate several copies of NPCs, but I would like a definitive answer as to whether or several sets of dormies are generated as well?
Adding more Uni neighborhoods causes more dormies, approximately 50 dormies per dose, +more of every Uni-specific NPC (cheerleaders/llamas/cows/professors).

It is one of the faster ways to cause a BFBVFS.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2006 January 22, 17:30:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I tend to go along with that, and would add that the only NPCs that possibly stay at the original 3 are the streakers, and that's because they appear in the character files before you add any campus at all.

Zephyr Zodiac
Jysudo
Nitwitted Nuisance

Super Shooter

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2006 January 23, 05:11:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hi there,

thanks for everyone's replies. I did my own experiment and added a second uni. It added about 67 new files. In both uni, the students were 'recycled'. I saw the same folks walking around like nobody's business.

I think I will change the deco at the existing university instead. It seems the only sensible way now.

Go Away
syberspunk
Heretic
Terrible Twerp

ISTJ - what a crazy random happenstance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: 2006 January 23, 23:38:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

thanks for everyone's replies. I did my own experiment and added a second uni. It added about 67 new files. In both uni, the students were 'recycled'. I saw the same folks walking around like nobody's business.

Yeah, I think that it does add dormies to the "dormie pool" but it does recycle them as you say. Probably because not all of the dormies have been assigned to dorms yet. You would probably have to go into several dorms, wait for them to All fill up, before you even see other dormies. In my experience, whenever I moved in new, playable sims, the dormie(s) that got evicted ended up "transferring" to other dorms. In other words, when I went to start/play a new/other dorm, it draws from the same dormie pool, with any previous evicted dormies being assigned to the new/other dorm. Almost as if they got popped back onto the stack and then popped off again in a LIFO kinda way. Tongue

I think I will change the deco at the existing university instead. It seems the only sensible way now.

Yeah... after much internal debate and struggling, I've come to terms with the fact that it probably is better to only have One Uni that is the Uni. Tongue As much as it pains me to let go of the RP idea to have separate Unis to attend, it pains me even more to think that it would contribute to turning my game into a BFBVFS. Especially what with the new EP coming around the bend, which is bound to add more character files as well. Roll Eyes So with that in mind, I'm going the same route as you. I'll just have to recolour, remodel, and redecorate some of the base dorms. Or maybe I'll actually have to download some new dorms/lots, although I'm not very found of that. In the past, I've had problems with downloaded lots. Even though they look very nice, some of them were just too large and took forever to load. On the other hand, I get really lazy when it comes to building.  Grin

Ste
« Last Edit: 2006 February 05, 14:27:49 by syberspunk » Logged

resin
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2006 January 25, 17:19:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Pardon my stupidity, but what is "BFBVFS"?

I have the three Uni system and NL going in my neighborhood, but I have the "Critical Mass" fix or whatever it's called installed too? Is my game going to explode in a fiery ball visible from space? I tend not to create many CASs now that my 'hood is going.

Oh...HA! "BFBVFS" is "Big Fiery Ball Visible From Space", isn't it? I forgot to drink the smart milk this morning...
angelyne
Obtuse Oaf

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2006 January 25, 21:50:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

<hands Resin a cookie>
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2006 February 05, 08:48:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yeah, I think that it does add dormies to the "dormie pool" but it does recycle them as you say. Probably because not all of the dormies have been assigned to dorms yet. You would probably have to go into several dorms, wait for them to All fill up, before you even see other dormies. In my experience, whenever I moved in new, playable sims, the dormie(s) that got evicted ended up "transferring" to other dorms. In other words, when I went to start/play a new/other dorm, it draws from the same dormie pool, with the any previous evicted dormies being assigned to the new/other dorm. Almost as if they got popped back onto the stack and then popped off again in a LIFO kinda way. Tongue

Ste

It seems to me that the game always picks the same dormies - I've had identical ones living in two or more dorms at once!  If you move those into game, or delete them, the game then moves on to another group!  Random my aunt fanny!

Zephyr Zodiac
Doc Doofus
Garrulous Gimp

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2006 February 08, 09:00:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have multiple Uni's in my Pleasantville.  I've been playing the same Pleasantville (with a couple backup recoveries) since the original Sims 2 came out.  My character files are up to the 900's.

My experience with multiple Uni's is that when you start a dorm in a brand new uni, all the dormies from the other universities move in.  The professors are the same, too.  That's kind of disappointing, in a way.

Another observation: It seems that secret society members that graduated from different uni's can't shake hands.

Medusa stared at the two creatures approaching her across the Piazza and, instantly recognizing them as Spanish Gorgons, attempted to stall them by greeting them in their native tongue, "Gorgons, Hola!"
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2006 February 08, 09:47:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Another observation: It seems that secret society members that graduated from different uni's can't shake hands.

Well, that makes sense!  After all, they'd be different Secret Societies!  (Just like Masons are a different Secret Society from, say, the Mafia.  - and different again, of course, from Secret Societies that are really secret!)

Zephyr Zodiac
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: