More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 June 30, 10:40:41

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540275 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6519 Members
Latest Member: Gegahex
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Oh confusticate and bebother it!
0 Members and 2 Chinese Bots are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Oh confusticate and bebother it!  (Read 12687 times)
Avie
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
Oh confusticate and bebother it!
« on: 2005 December 14, 21:34:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Having more or less come to terms with my pervo Legacy family who like to whoohoo in the social bunny get-up, swim in wedding dresses and go to work in fishnet stockings and garbage bag mini-dresses (OK I made that one up) I'm now getting random crashes back to the desktop. Gahhhhh! the computer is a god-damn PowerMac! It has TWO (count em) processors! it cost several limbs plus some internal organs that were still in use! to purchase and now it's crashing like a god-forsaken Russian space station.
Needless to say it is only the Legacy house that is affected. I can see no obvious pattern in the crashes, have no new custom content and still no hacks or, thanks to Aspyr being slower than a crippled snail stuck in frozen treacle, any expansion packs.
Help good people!

Emma
Goopy Lover
Dead Member

All Pescados Suck.

View Profile WWW
Re: Oh confusticate and bebother it!
« Reply #1 on: 2005 December 14, 21:36:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I can offer no help, but give you lots of sympathy. Embarrassed  This game really sucks sometimes doesn't it?

simmiecal
Dead Member

No kittens within five miles of my house! :)

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2005 December 14, 21:41:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I can't give you any specific help but it does seem that problems tend to creep up more in legacy lots because of the generations that stay on the lot and the ghosts. Sorry to hear about it. I know it's "just a game" but when you've invested so much time into something, and especially challenges where you are following certain rules, you really do want to pull your hair out when something like this happens.
SciBirg
Garrulous Gimp

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2005 December 14, 21:45:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My sincerest symapthies, I had to delete the entire game Sunday.
Do you have all the critical fixes installed? Crammyboys portal fix etc?

INTJ
Avie
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2005 December 14, 21:49:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I knew the lot was glitched. The Headmaster inexplicably disappeared in Gen4 and the party score boxes never appeared since that time.
Never mind. I'll have to junk this 7th Gen Legacy and start over losing all my career rewards and my six platinum graves...BUGGER!!!
SirLance
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2005 December 14, 21:52:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Having more or less come to terms with my pervo Legacy family who like to whoohoo in the social bunny get-up, swim in wedding dresses and go to work in fishnet stockings and garbage bag mini-dresses (OK I made that one up) I'm now getting random crashes back to the desktop. Gahhhhh! the computer is a god-damn PowerMac! It has TWO (count em) processors! it cost several limbs plus some internal organs that were still in use! to purchase and now it's crashing like a god-forsaken Russian space station.
Needless to say it is only the Legacy house that is affected. I can see no obvious pattern in the crashes, have no new custom content and still no hacks or, thanks to Aspyr being slower than a crippled snail stuck in frozen treacle, any expansion packs.
Help good people!

I'm also starting to have problems with the social bunny costume in my legacy family. I had my legacy heir marry a cheerleader and when she moved in, for some reason brought the stupid costume with her, and now nearly always can be seen wearing it in community lots even when I keep changing it back to regular clothes. Hopefully, someone more knowledgable than I will know whats going on.

Edit: It was the mascot costume not the social bunny.
« Last Edit: 2005 December 14, 22:27:44 by SirLance » Logged

Live as brave men; and if fortune is adverse, front its blows with brave hearts. -Cicero
Avie
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2005 December 14, 21:57:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hi SirLance lots of folk posted in my previous thread "Skins Glitch" regarding the inappropriate clothing problem. Maybe reading that would be helpful to you.

simmiecal
Dead Member

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2005 December 14, 22:06:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm also starting to have problems with the social bunny costume in my legacy family. I had my legacy heir marry a cheerleader and when she moved in, for some reason brought the stupid costume with her, and now nearly always can be seen wearing it in community lots even when I keep changing it back to regular clothes. Hopefully, someone more knowledgable than I will know whats going on.

Not sure if the patch was supposed to fix this or not, but it is a known problem/bug with the Uni specific "special" NPCs like the cheerleader and mascots. If you take them from uni, they will run around your hood and act like they did in Uni. It has been suggested that you only marry profs, secret society or dormies and skip the cheerleaders and mascots.
SirLance
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2005 December 14, 22:31:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Not sure if the patch was supposed to fix this or not, but it is a known problem/bug with the Uni specific "special" NPCs like the cheerleader and mascots. If you take them from uni, they will run around your hood and act like they did in Uni. It has been suggested that you only marry profs, secret society or dormies and skip the cheerleaders and mascots.

Oh, thanks for telling me. I only wish I knew that before...

Live as brave men; and if fortune is adverse, front its blows with brave hearts. -Cicero
reggikko
Axe Murderer
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2005 December 14, 23:21:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Avie, before you ditch your family, have you tried moving them ot another lot? You could still keep the points for your graves and aspiration rewards since this is major glitching.
Avie
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2005 December 14, 23:28:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I know reggikko but I will also lose the eight career rewards that make skilling so much easier for my sims
BUGGER
simmiecal
Dead Member

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2005 December 14, 23:29:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I know reggikko but I will also lose the eight career rewards that make skilling so much easier for my sims
BUGGER

I take it you don't have NL? If you did you could use the inventory. If you don't, isn't it permissible in the legacy challenge to use hacks/mods to correct problems due to bugs? Could you use the buyable career reward objects to replace the ones that you would loose?
BlueSoup
Super-Deformed Bobblehead
Vacuous Vegetable

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2005 December 14, 23:31:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You could also use testingcheats to bring back the career rewards, and that is spelled out in Legacy as being allowed if your family has to move due to bugs.
Avie
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2005 December 14, 23:44:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

But folks i'm a mac-user. Some cheats do not work on macs and boolprop is a menace that can cause all manner of horrors and I dare not use it. No mac has any expansion pack because they are not yet coded for us mac-usinf freaks
BUGGER

ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2005 December 15, 01:06:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Have you tried Crammyboy's Portal mods?  Just in case it's a missing portal that's causing the problem?  If so, there is a fix to replace portals, which is referred to in CB's info on the mod itself.

Zephyr Zodiac
Avie
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2005 December 16, 18:39:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks for all your input. Something Simmiecal mentioned tipped me off that it was the ghosts that were causing the problem so I deleted all but my platinum graves and hey presto! the crashes stopped immediately. sure I'll lose points and end with a "You are a Total Idiot" score but better a gibbering idiot with a low Legacy score than one who failed to get to gen 10 at all!
Oddly enough it was a combination of the carpool returning PLUS the ghosts being out that seemed to make the mac get its pixels in a twist as I noticed that if no carpool returned after 9pm then the puter didn't crash, if the car came back at 9pm or later with no ghosts out it still was OK but if the two were combined...crash city. God knows why it made the damn computer throw a hissy fit but it did.
Thanks again for your helpful comments,

ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2005 December 16, 18:53:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Just too many unlinked character files running around, I'd guess!

Zephyr Zodiac
Avie
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2005 December 16, 19:06:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Most likely true ZZ. So now I can continue playing my retina-searingly hideous parent and await with trepidation the growing-up of his kid.
On present showing I think I'll keep s set of very dark sunglasses handy.

ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2005 December 16, 21:44:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You could, of course, pray that they hurry up with NL, then you could put all the graves on another lot!  (You could have a graveyard just for your legacy family!)

Alternatively, are you allowed to use mods?  If so, then you could try one which allows you to have more than 8 visitors on a lot, that might work.

Zephyr Zodiac
anyeone
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: 2005 December 17, 23:36:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ah, but I got such a kick out of making my Sim fall in love with the Cow.

And it turns out she was gorgeous Smiley

I'm not megalomaniacal, I just play that way.
Dark Trepie
Senator

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2005 December 17, 23:58:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

People here are suggesting all of the fixes Pescado, TwoJeffs, Crammyboy, and the other people out there make.  But I have to wonder if these fixes would even be compatible with the Mac version.  I imagine that the code for that version is different in some places.

And hell, Uni hasn't even been released on the Mac yet as far as I know.
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2005 December 18, 00:06:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, I have suggested the Sub-Forum at simFreaks which is specifically for Mac-Users.  Mac-users really need to get advice from someone who is au fait with coding for Macs and is also an experienced Sims player.

Zephyr Zodiac
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2005 December 18, 01:11:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have every reason to believe that the internal SimAntics codes will be the same for both operating systems, although any hardcode-specific issues will be entirely different. Meaning that the Mac versions will probably share the same in-game bugs as the PC versions.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Avie
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2005 December 19, 01:55:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Unfit as I am the grovel at the feet of El Presidente himself it is often the case that by the time Aspyr get their idle re-coding butts into gear and port a mac version then some common bugs are known and Aspyr fix them. The "Jump Bug" of the original game is an example. I've never seen an instance of it reported by a mac-user although of course I may be mistaken.
I cannot however cite an example of a mac-unique bug except the Sims 1 Makin Magic spell... I think it was "Replica" or something like that, that allowed the Sim to send a pseudo-self to work but which simply did not work on any mac whether by a coding error or not I do not know.
Runs away and hides under a stone...

ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2005 December 19, 03:33:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I couldn't get that to work either, on a PC - my sim would still go to work and the clone would laze around at home!

Zephyr Zodiac
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: