More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 July 01, 20:58:25

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540275 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6519 Members
Latest Member: Gegahex
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Uploading vanilla houses?
0 Members and 9 Chinese Bots are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Uploading vanilla houses?  (Read 11258 times)
Emma
Goopy Lover
Dead Member

All Pescados Suck.

View Profile WWW
Uploading vanilla houses?
« on: 2005 December 09, 08:40:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I really love making houses and I am just wondering how to make them suitable for upload and that doesn't have a load of custom content attatched to it. I usually upload to my simpage.
I am wondering if it is possible to actually remove the downloads folder before loading up a neighbourhood that is new and fresh-will this crash the game? TIA for help Wink

Duchess
gali
Crazy Lollipop
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
Re: Uploading vanilla houses?
« Reply #1 on: 2005 December 09, 08:48:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yes, I always do that, but beware not to enter the neighbourhoods you are playing. Just open a special empty custom neighbourhood, in which you build your houses.
Emma
Goopy Lover
Dead Member

All Pescados Suck.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: 2005 December 09, 09:13:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks gali  Grin

reggikko
Axe Murderer
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2005 December 09, 10:27:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Emma, Inge has good instructions for the safest way to do this on her site. Here's the synopsis. In your My Documents--EA Games folder, rename the Sims 2 folder to something like The Sims 2 Play. Start the game. It will generate a new Sims 2 folder, completely free of hacks and custom content. Build, etc. When you want to play, rename the new folder The Sims 2 Build and change The Sims 2 Play back to The Sims 2. This way, everything that you build is always in a clean game and you know for sure that nothing can tag along.
Emma
Goopy Lover
Dead Member

All Pescados Suck.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: 2005 December 09, 11:39:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks Reg! I know for sure it will take a very long time to move my downloads folder to the desktop, being the download whore that I am  Wink
*Runs off to Inge's site*

Duchess
gali
Crazy Lollipop
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2005 December 09, 12:46:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks, Reggikko - I didn't know that too. I always move my downloads folder to the desktop, but never enter the playable hoods. Your suggestion is much better...Smiley.
Ilikecoffee
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2005 December 09, 12:56:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

What about creating another user for the computer in the control panel area?  The new user area will have a clean (no hacks, no custom content) game.  Someone on MTS2 suggested it so that a child could play the game without the adult user's hacks and custom content.  I do this for the houses I upload.  I thought it was easier than yanking out the download folder, the collection folder, and the camera folder every time I felt the urge to just build.
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2005 December 09, 13:00:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I presume from all this that using the games own option to disable custom content is untrustworthy?  (I've never tried it.)

Zephyr Zodiac
Renatus
Nitwitted Nuisance

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2005 December 09, 13:04:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ilikecoffee is right, creating a new user account is much easier than moving the Downloads folder every time you want to build a clean house. You need XP or 2k to do it, but it's a quicker process and doesn't require nearly as much work in the long run.

ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2005 December 09, 13:08:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yes, I know people who do that.  I still just have a clean install on another pc for housebuilding.  The main advantage is when I get fed up, I can just switch over to the the main pc and play the game or go on the net.

Zephyr Zodiac
Emma
Goopy Lover
Dead Member

All Pescados Suck.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: 2005 December 09, 15:25:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Just popped in to say that Inge's method works great Smiley All you have to basically do is change the folder names. Easy.

ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2005 December 09, 15:31:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Same principle as when you had two different sets of skins in Sims1 and you could change them over by simply changing names.  I think if you have two Pleasantviews, you could do the same thing, just call one of them N001-2 and the game would only recognise the other, but I've not tried it yet in case I'm wrong!!!!

Zephyr Zodiac
JenW
Irritating Ignoramus

Grilled cheese lovin' cyborg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: 2005 December 09, 16:48:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I use the separate user account method too. Works great for me, as I'm sure I'd continually forget to swap out the downloads folder at the right time. I'd forget my head if it wasn't attached Tongue

FYI, Pinecat has a really good thread on TSR about uploading clean lots: http://forums.thesimsresource.com/showthread.php?t=268085

Jen

<Pescado> With ninja throwing breadsticks, YOU are the dipping sauce! | The Literate Sim
Countess
cwykes
Retarded Reprobate

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: 2005 December 10, 08:01:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I use cleaninstaller on the packaged lot file and take out all the custom content for a vanilla house.  Then save as "newfile".  I upload that.  Any reason why that isn't good enough?  If you want to put a bit of custom content in you need to know the filenames to leave in, but it's not too hard to spot them.  You can always try it out and see if anything is missing.

I usually move all my downloads to desktop when I'm building apart from the hacks folder so I don't get townies regenerating.  That's just to speed up loading really.

Sick of Bluewater?  Try Sedona or Meadow Lawns instead.  Meadow Lawns is a whole neighbourhood built to explore OFB.  Sedona is a sub'hood you can install as a permanent alternative to Bluewater - it's an "out of this world" experience!  www.moreawesomethanyou.com/cwykes
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2005 December 10, 08:23:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, if you build in a custom neighbourhood which you don't use for gameplay, does it matter about townies - you don't need to deleteallcharacters so you don't need to stop them regenerating - so no hacks need to be in game while you build.

Zephyr Zodiac
Countess
cwykes
Retarded Reprobate

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: 2005 December 10, 10:14:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

True - but I usually build them in my normal hood, package them and let my real sims try them out.   I prefer that to working with dummy sims.  Before I know it I'm caught up in these new sims and their story in an empty hood!  it's easy enough to take the hacks out with cleaninstaller.   unless I'm missing something... 

Sick of Bluewater?  Try Sedona or Meadow Lawns instead.  Meadow Lawns is a whole neighbourhood built to explore OFB.  Sedona is a sub'hood you can install as a permanent alternative to Bluewater - it's an "out of this world" experience!  www.moreawesomethanyou.com/cwykes
Emma
Goopy Lover
Dead Member

All Pescados Suck.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: 2005 December 10, 10:16:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It doesn't matter which method you use, as long as it works! I don't have clean installer, so I don't use it.

miramis
Juvenile Jackass

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2005 December 19, 02:32:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Emma, Inge has good instructions for the safest way to do this on her site. Here's the synopsis. In your My Documents--EA Games folder, rename the Sims 2 folder to something like The Sims 2 Play. Start the game. It will generate a new Sims 2 folder, completely free of hacks and custom content. Build, etc. When you want to play, rename the new folder The Sims 2 Build and change The Sims 2 Play back to The Sims 2. This way, everything that you build is always in a clean game and you know for sure that nothing can tag along.

After all the downloading I did the other night, it takes a while now to transfer my downloads to a desktop folder and back again.  I think this method of Inge's will work best for me.  I'm so glad you mentioned it Reggikko Smiley
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2005 December 19, 03:35:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I actually wonder whether the in-game option to disable custom content would also work, or is it, like so much else, bugged?

Zephyr Zodiac
BlueSoup
Super-Deformed Bobblehead
Vacuous Vegetable

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2005 December 19, 04:13:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I actually wonder whether the in-game option to disable custom content would also work, or is it, like so much else, bugged?

I just tried this with a starter lot I built, and it most definitely does not work.  I packaged the lot, and I had a whole bunch of crap tag along.
Sagana
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2005 December 19, 12:04:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I do this for the houses I upload.  I thought it was easier than yanking out the download folder, the collection folder, and the camera folder every time I felt the urge to just build.

Do the special cameras tag along when you package as well? I like being able to see the whole neighborhood, whether I'm building or playing, but... bleh if they tag.

Unsouper
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2005 December 19, 12:36:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I had a funny feeling it wouldn't work!

Zephyr Zodiac
qvcatullus
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2005 December 19, 13:07:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I had a funny feeling it wouldn't work!

Built-in Maxis feature doesn't work? Say it ain't so?
If only some grouchy but affable type fellow would waste spend hours of his time fixing all of the mistakes in return for nothing but the adulation of his peers, the inflation of his ego, and perhaps a pittance of a subscription fee...
reggikko
Axe Murderer
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2005 December 19, 14:25:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Built-in Maxis feature doesn't work? Say it ain't so?
If only some grouchy but affable type fellow would waste spend hours of his time fixing all of the mistakes in return for nothing but the adulation of his peers, the inflation of his ego, and perhaps a pittance of a subscription fee...

He has no peers. Only minions, groupies, and hangers-on.  Cheesy
BlueSoup
Super-Deformed Bobblehead
Vacuous Vegetable

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2005 December 19, 14:27:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I do this for the houses I upload.  I thought it was easier than yanking out the download folder, the collection folder, and the camera folder every time I felt the urge to just build.

Do the special cameras tag along when you package as well? I like being able to see the whole neighborhood, whether I'm building or playing, but... bleh if they tag.

I only yank the downloads folder, and when checking it in Clean Installer, I see only the lotsegment portion - nothing else seems to get packaged in.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: