More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 June 30, 16:42:32

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540275 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6519 Members
Latest Member: Gegahex
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  How to fix "broken" clothing that doesn't show up in game?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: How to fix "broken" clothing that doesn't show up in game?  (Read 7123 times)
Countess
baratron
Heretic
Knuckleheaded Knob

I love Pokemon! Thus I am a Heretic!

View Profile WWW
How to fix "broken" clothing that doesn't show up in game?
« on: 2005 December 03, 21:23:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've recently downloaded some clothing that will not show up in the game.

I am fairly sure that it is the clothing at fault rather than me, because it's all stuff from new sites (e.g. Botan Clothing) or people at Mod The Sims 2 who mention in their post "this is my first ever upload" Wink. I'm pretty careful to check whether meshes are needed at the time of download. Some of these items do successfully show up in Bodyshop, but some don't even make it there.

The .package files seem to be ok, and open in SimPE. The textures are present, but don't always show up in the SimPE thumbnail. (Some of them show a kind of "embossed" greyscale image, which I can only assume is a bump map?). I edited the Property Set for the stuff from Botan because it was trying to show up in a non-existent category (according to the list I found on the SimPE forum), but it still doesn't show up.

So what's the problem, and how can I fix it?

* Pescado is batshit crazy, and thus it's not safe to say what he could or would do. Tongue

Pescado: You're a weird and freaky Baratron.
Pescado: Also, all Baratrons suck.

Read my Sims 2 stories!
Duchess
gali
Crazy Lollipop
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
Re: How to fix "broken" clothing that doesn't show up in game?
« Reply #1 on: 2005 December 03, 21:30:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I am not expert in that, but I have read, that clothes appear in the game only if their packages are pasted straight in the Downloads folder (no sub-folder), or in the "Saved Sims" folder. Otherwise they dissapear in the game.

So, you can't put them in a special Botan folder, which is a sub-folder of Downloads.

All my clothes and meshes are kept in "Saved Sims" folder.
jennydeenyc
Exasperating Eyesore

what're YOU lookin' at?

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2005 December 03, 21:34:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Actually, with NL installed, you can now sub-folder stuff like clothing & makeup within the Downloads folder.
Motoki
Lord of the Nannies
Uncouth Undesirable

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2005 December 03, 21:55:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Do they have meshes? There's a couple of different reasons I can think of for this. One may be that people sometimes upload packages from the projects directory instead of savedsims when making things in the bodyshop. Another may be if the mesh was made with an older version of SimPE that had a bug where recolors will not show up unless the original color for the mesh exists in downloads. There could be other possibilities too, but I usually just delete such content as I don't have the time to hunt it all down and mess with it.

In communist China Peggy's hairs cut you!
Ness
Hairy-Bellied Heretic
Terrible Twerp

DOWN WITH CHEESE!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2005 December 03, 22:00:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've had a pair of purple toddler pjs from simsquirts that wouldn't show up to be purchases, or in CAS (don't think I tried bodyshop, I can't get it to actually do much of anything at all), but sometimes, after an age transition, a toddler would wind up having those purple pjs as default...  Eventually I deleted them because they would just show up randomly, and contacting the web site owner didn't achieve anything at all other than that theywork for her, so she doesn't have a clue.

Not helpful, I know...  but I share the experience, and would love to hear what fixes come up.

Countess
baratron
Heretic
Knuckleheaded Knob

I love Pokemon! Thus I am a Heretic!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: 2005 December 03, 23:20:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Do they have meshes? There's a couple of different reasons I can think of for this. One may be that people sometimes upload packages from the projects directory instead of savedsims when making things in the bodyshop.

Yeah, I think that's the problem - uploading the wrong .package file. I guess it's an easy mistake to make, if it's your first upload... I don't really get why BodyShop needs so many stages...

So how do I fix that?

* Pescado is batshit crazy, and thus it's not safe to say what he could or would do. Tongue

Pescado: You're a weird and freaky Baratron.
Pescado: Also, all Baratrons suck.

Read my Sims 2 stories!
dewshine
Horrible Halfwit

mean sims and empty lots don't mix...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: 2005 December 04, 00:49:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If you have the mesh... export a new package in bodyshop, import it into the game, use SimPE to extract the textures from the "broken" file into your new one using export and Build DTX. Just make sure it's your package from saved sims you use,  Grin

My Avie is a Vin Diesel sim.  Get him at My Yahoo Group
skandelouslala
Lipless Loser

Don't look now but they're going to kill you.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2005 December 04, 04:50:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ack I just delete it lol  No time to mess with it.

And yeah you can have subfolders in your downloads folder now.  All my downloads are put into subfolders (clothes, makeup, hair so on and so forth) and they all work just dandy.
KellyQ
STUPID PUDDING
Dead Member

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2005 December 04, 06:45:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Actually I'm having a similar problem with some p.j.s I downloaded from MTS2. They are just recolours of the "slob" type of pjs from the game, so no mesh requiered. I can see them in SimPe but for some reason they don't show up in the game at all. Anyone have any idea why that might be?

<Pescado> Make it quick. I'm busy and you're not funny.
dewshine
Horrible Halfwit

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: 2005 December 04, 07:34:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

They were pulled from the projects folder, not the saved sims folder, I'd bet. 

Do you have a link?

KellyQ
STUPID PUDDING
Dead Member

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2005 December 04, 07:54:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Here's the link to the p.j.s I was talking about: http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=94332

dewshine
Horrible Halfwit

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: 2005 December 04, 08:43:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'll take a look at the files okay?

KellyQ
STUPID PUDDING
Dead Member

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2005 December 04, 09:28:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Great, thank you. Smiley

JaneSims
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2005 December 04, 10:27:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Just to make sure - you do have NightLife installed, right?
Motoki
Lord of the Nannies
Uncouth Undesirable

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2005 December 04, 14:28:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I got some urban designer clothes at MTS2 a little while ago that looked very nice but it turned out they were pulled from the projects folder. Someone should tell the noobs at MTS2 not to do that. Tongue I just deleted it because I couldn't be arsed with it.

And I hate how people rush to gush and post all these thank you posts and looks great bla bla bla bla without even actually trying the damned thing out. I've downloaded plenty of stuff that looked very nice in the picture but in the game either looked terrible, was buggy or glitchy or didn't work at all! On the other hand, I've downloaded some stuff that looked even better in the game and the picture didn't do it justice at all.

It really does the creator no service to thank them based on a still picture and not real use of their actual object either.

In communist China Peggy's hairs cut you!
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2005 December 04, 15:58:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'd definitely second that, Motoki - I've had stuff from MTS2 that was absolutely awful in game - the thank you buttons, though a good idea, are actually rather unhelpful in these cases!  Better, really, to just ask for comments, and then if people are really impressed, or the opposite, they may well return to post their opinion - which can be helpful!

Zephyr Zodiac
dewshine
Horrible Halfwit

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: 2005 December 04, 16:46:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ah.. yes.  these are pulled from the project file, as there are no numbers at the beginning of the file. 
Has anyone tried PM'ing the creator for a fix?
I'd redo them if anyone here wants me to.
I posted in the thread... 475 downloads and noone said a dang thing...   Huh
Anyhow, I noticed that the normal maps don't match the new graphics so I'll have to redo that part for my own game anyhow...
« Last Edit: 2005 December 04, 16:52:57 by dewshine » Logged

KellyQ
STUPID PUDDING
Dead Member

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2005 December 05, 15:25:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ahh, ok. See I didn't post to let the maker know because I thought (after reading the other posts) that it was something I must be doing wrong, especially after I saw them showing up in SimPe. I don't know anything about making recolors/meshes, etc., so if something doesn't work, usually I assume I've done something wrong in installing it. I'm guessing a lot of other people are the same way and maybe that's why nothing has been said to the creator.
Thanks for looking into that for me, dewshine, I appreciate it (because it does tend to drive me nuts when I can't figure out why something isn't working in my game Cheesy.)

ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2005 December 05, 18:40:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, if you've installed a one set of downloads successfully, one would assume that you had mastered the technique (which a six-year-old could learn, let's face it!) and threfore you'd be within your rights to assume that, if something appears wrong with a downloaded object or outfit etc., that it wasn't anything that you did that caused it.  Have confidence in yourself - you didn't make the object, all you did was put a copy of it in your game, and therefore it isn't your fault if it doesn't work as the creator intended!

Zephyr Zodiac
KellyQ
STUPID PUDDING
Dead Member

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2005 December 05, 19:13:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Lol, thanks for the pep talk, ZZ, I will keep that in mind! Having roughly around 2,500 downloads in my game, you're right, I probably have mastered it! Cheesy

ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2005 December 05, 20:06:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'd tend to agree there! 2,500 takes a lot of practice!  And you know what they say about practice!

Zephyr Zodiac
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: