More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 June 30, 16:19:20

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540275 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6519 Members
Latest Member: Gegahex
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Oops! You Broke It!
| | | |-+  Is the M&G 1 tile solar panel borked?
0 Members and 2 Chinese Bots are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Is the M&G 1 tile solar panel borked?  (Read 13863 times)
SiuPang
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
Is the M&G 1 tile solar panel borked?
« on: 2008 December 02, 05:24:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Has anyone also found that it's so strange the 1 tile solar panel only stands on it legs while the 2 tile one has a circular base under its legs? And when you try to place the 1 tile one on the lot, it occupies the tile next to the one that you choose? I guess the 1 tile one is borked, just like the carpet Undecided
jsalemi
Town Crier
Vacuous Vegetable

In dog we trust, all others pay cash...

View Profile
Re: Is the M&G 1 tile solar panel borked?
« Reply #1 on: 2008 December 02, 14:45:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Um, the 1 tile one is primarily for mounting on roofs, where they sit nicely side-by-side, while the two tile one is for ground mounting...
« Last Edit: 2008 December 02, 14:50:28 by jsalemi » Logged

Excelsior, you fathead!
I am Canadian.
SiuPang
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2008 December 03, 07:45:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Um, the 1 tile one is primarily for mounting on roofs, where they sit nicely side-by-side, while the two tile one is for ground mounting...

I see... But I have been placing both on the ground  Undecided
IgnorantBliss
Knuckleheaded Knob

INTJ

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2008 December 03, 13:58:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't see anything obvious indicating that the 1-tile panel is meant for roofs, but maybe it's just me. Nothing in the description says so, either.

Liz: I'm telling you, this is my year. I feel like the show's going to be great and I'm very positive that I'm going to meet someone else.
Jack: Women your age are more likely to be mauled at the zoo than get married.
jsalemi
Town Crier
Vacuous Vegetable

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2008 December 03, 15:17:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

No, it's not obvious, other than the mount type.  But if you try the 1-tile on the roof, it just works better.

Excelsior, you fathead!
I am Canadian.
Emma
Goopy Lover
Dead Member

All Pescados Suck.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: 2008 December 03, 16:36:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It only looks good if the roof is at a 45 degree angle, however.

jsalemi
Town Crier
Vacuous Vegetable

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2008 December 03, 19:22:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

True, though if you put it on the peak, it doesn't really matter what the angle is.

Excelsior, you fathead!
I am Canadian.
Countess
cwykes
Retarded Reprobate

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: 2009 January 01, 17:47:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm told that if you install enough solar panels, you get more cash back than you pay in bills.  Is this true?  Surely the rebate ought to be capped in some way - say no more than 25% of the household bills.

Sick of Bluewater?  Try Sedona or Meadow Lawns instead.  Meadow Lawns is a whole neighbourhood built to explore OFB.  Sedona is a sub'hood you can install as a permanent alternative to Bluewater - it's an "out of this world" experience!  www.moreawesomethanyou.com/cwykes
Mootilda
Dead Member

Reluctant Modder

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2009 January 01, 19:20:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

No, the existing behavior is reasonable.  I've known people who produced too much energy for their own needs; they were able to sell that energy back to the grid.

I don't think this level of hostility is necessary
Countess
cwykes
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: 2009 January 01, 19:54:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I hadn't thought of that.  I'd have said it would pretty rare for a power company to pay real money to an individual for excess electricity, but I guess the system varies from country to country.

Sick of Bluewater?  Try Sedona or Meadow Lawns instead.  Meadow Lawns is a whole neighbourhood built to explore OFB.  Sedona is a sub'hood you can install as a permanent alternative to Bluewater - it's an "out of this world" experience!  www.moreawesomethanyou.com/cwykes
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

Shunning the accursed daystar.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2009 January 01, 21:13:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I just read an article in a local mag about that last night. There is a couple in Wellington with a wind turbine and they are feeding excess power back into the grid and getting paid for it. I wouldn't say it's the norm here, but certainly if they are doing it there must be others.

My fists are named Feminine and Wiles.
BastDawn
Retarded Reprobate

I'll stop by to read Awesomeland once in a while.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: 2009 January 02, 00:19:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think I read about something like that happening locally.  In our case, a law had to made to force the energy company to pay for the extra energy they were getting.

Viscountess
kiki
Assgrabber
Stupid Schlemiel

ENTP - RULER

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2009 January 02, 01:30:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You don't need to install a LOT of them to get the rebates and not be paying bills at all - I only put a single solar panel on a small 1x1 lot and was making back about $63 a billing cycle.

"I feel sorry for people that don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's the best they'll feel all day." - Dean Martin
<Pescado>   Because hey, sometimes you have fun, and sometimes fun has you.
BastDawn
Retarded Reprobate

I'll stop by to read Awesomeland once in a while.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: 2009 January 02, 01:43:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That doesn't mean much; an empty 1x1 lot costs -§300.  You get extra money just for moving in!

Viscountess
kiki
Assgrabber
Stupid Schlemiel

ENTP - RULER

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2009 January 02, 03:01:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That doesn't mean much; an empty 1x1 lot costs -§300.  You get extra money just for moving in!

Without the solar panel the bills were costing $56 each billing cycle.

"I feel sorry for people that don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's the best they'll feel all day." - Dean Martin
<Pescado>   Because hey, sometimes you have fun, and sometimes fun has you.
Countess
cwykes
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: 2009 January 03, 12:40:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I bet a lot of countries don't let you give power back never mind pay you for it.  But one or two solar panels shouldn't give you enough power to cover all your bills and give you a net negative on property tax and utilities! 

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2009 January 03, 12:49:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I bet a lot of countries don't let you give power back never mind pay you for it.  But one or two solar panels shouldn't give you enough power to cover all your bills and give you a net negative on property tax and utilities!
To be fair, sims don't exactly use a lot of power. I mean, how many electronic items do sims really have? The fridge? A bunch of other items that are off most of the time? One panel could probably power what little they use.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Countess
cwykes
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: 2009 January 03, 13:00:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Whatever keeps them warm - invisible underfloor heating?  new heating deco items in AL?

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2009 January 03, 13:49:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Here's the energy savings:
Solar 1x1 (Roof):  $50 (apt), $75 (!apt), cost $600
Solar 2x1 (Ground): $100 (apt), $150 (!apt), cost: $1200
Windmill: $140 (apt), $210 (!apt) cost: $1680

All the existing energy items have a cost-to-savings ratio of 8, so it will take 4 weeks (2 billing cycles/week) for any installed energy saver to pay off its own costs. As such, these items don't turn a profit within a given sim's adult lifespan, and the idea that you will somehow get rich off this is somewhat ludicrous. Worth noting also is that each $1000 of lot structural value will increase your bill by $4 and every $1000 of object-stuff-value, including these energy generators, will increase your bill by $6.

Worth also noting is that it is possible to create OTHER such energy-generating devices, so we are NOT limited to just these 3.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Emma
Goopy Lover
Dead Member

All Pescados Suck.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: 2009 January 03, 13:54:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Such as what? A generator?

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2009 January 03, 14:18:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Like your very own home nuclear reactor?

Emma
Goopy Lover
Dead Member

All Pescados Suck.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: 2009 January 03, 15:32:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

With the chance it could explode, thus wiping out all your sims present on the lot at that time? Want.

Countess
cwykes
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: 2009 January 03, 15:49:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm assuming that "!apt" means in a house or anywhere else you get bills that is not an apartment.
If not, please explain.

I've never seen the tax info laid out before - interesting.  As solar panels increase the tax bill, they aren't actually going to be paid off completely in 8 tax periods.  OK it's possible in rare circumstances, but 9 is going to be the normal pay back period.  I'll explain the economics to the board friend who claimed a solar panel was a great investment for poor sims.  

I'm tempted to say that 4 weeks is still a very short pay back period since my sims live for ever on elixir, but that would be arguing for the sake of it and I'm trying to shake the habit....

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2009 January 03, 16:06:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm assuming that "!apt" means in a house or anywhere else you get bills that is not an apartment.
!apt means exactly that, not-apartment.

I've never seen the tax info laid out before - interesting.  As solar panels increase the tax bill, they aren't actually going to be paid off completely in 8 tax periods.  OK it's possible in rare circumstances, but 9 is going to be the normal pay back period.  I'll explain the economics to the board friend who claimed a solar panel was a great investment for poor sims. 

I'm tempted to say that 4 weeks is still a very short pay back period since my sims live for ever on elixir, but that would be arguing for the sake of it and I'm trying to shake the habit....
4 weeks is not a "short" payback period even if your sims live forever, unless most of your day is spent on fastforward, and if you're going to live forever or heavily use newer features, most contraints of the original game no longer apply anyway. The fact of the matter is that by sim standards, taking > 4 weeks just to break even on your investment is LOUSY, and is by no means a "get rich quick" scheme. Starting your own solar power plant is not something that represents an effective use of your money.

Countess
cwykes
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: 2009 January 03, 16:10:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

................... that would be arguing for the sake of it and I'm trying to shake the habit....

I'm not arguing any more..... really.....

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: