More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 28, 18:42:48

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Oops! You Broke It!
| | | |-+  Character Portraits
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Character Portraits  (Read 66609 times)
renee
Tasty Tourist

View Profile
Character Portraits
« on: 2008 September 19, 05:03:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Is there anyway to make the portrait stop randomly changing every 45 seconds???  Its driving me nuts!!
Emma
Goopy Lover
Dead Member

All Pescados Suck.

View Profile WWW
Re: Character Portraits
« Reply #1 on: 2008 September 19, 05:31:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I like this feature now I have got used to it-saves getting them to 'change appearance' everythime I do change their appearance.

Duchess
sloppyhousewife
Lipless Loser

Plumber Zombie

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2008 September 19, 08:44:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I just hate some of those horrible poses. Yuck.

Exactly. If there was a way to weed out the fugly poses, I wouldn't mind that "feature" at all.

"Getting attention here is like awakening Lovecraftian cosmic horrors. Don't do it." - J.M. Pescado

Sagana
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2008 September 19, 10:02:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I like it too. If I don't like a pose, I just change it with the lot debugger. Or send them outside.

I had a vampire and it's really funny to see him change to all the different vampirish poses every time someone called him or had him come over or whatever. Just interesting to see what he'd be doing next as I haven't played with vampires all that much.

Unsouper
dDefinder
Blathering Buffoon

An Acronym

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: 2008 September 19, 10:29:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think its hardcoded.

No matter what variables there are, it all adds up to total and all-encompassing tedium.
Duchess
sloppyhousewife
Lipless Loser

Plumber Zombie

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2008 September 19, 10:32:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The problem is that I hate most of the poses (in fact, it's only two adult poses per gender I can stand). My lot debuggers/clothing tools have been moved from a hidden spot to a central position because I need to regenerate the portraits so often now.

"Getting attention here is like awakening Lovecraftian cosmic horrors. Don't do it." - J.M. Pescado

Faizah
Lipless Loser

INFP/INTJ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: 2008 September 19, 10:52:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I hate that too. My problem is that, after a long play session, especially one with lots of re-rolling of portraits, the textures all become incredibly blurry, and look like crap. All details are set to high, but that doesn't help. I had gotten into the habit of re-rolling to get a crisp portrait at the start of the session, if it was blurry from the last time, but now there's no point, they go blurry again before long.

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2008 September 19, 10:57:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Weeding out bad poses is potentially doable, simply overwrite the animation resources pertaining to the bad poses with one of the good poses.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Duchess
sloppyhousewife
Lipless Loser

Plumber Zombie

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2008 September 19, 11:54:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Weeding out bad poses is potentially doable, simply overwrite the animation resources pertaining to the bad poses with one of the good poses.

That's a fantastic idea - I'm so going to try that.

nekonoai
Weeaboo
Retarded Reprobate

Hell yeah.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: 2008 September 19, 13:58:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Wait, so I'm not the only one this is happening to?

Why the HELL did they code this into game? It is NOT useful. EVER. And makes me think my game asplode.
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2008 September 19, 15:21:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thing is, they change pretty much constantly in winter. I hate it. Every time someone's in or out of a door, portrait change. Every time they take a shower, portrait change. I'd prefer to go back to just using the Lot Debugger. The "feature" is clunky and causes slight lag.

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
Alex
Malodorous Moron

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2008 September 19, 15:55:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Apparently the actual "feature" is supposed to be the portrait changing every time you plan a new everyday outfit. Instead, it changes every time you change into an everyday outfit, which is hugely annoying.
coralleane
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2008 September 19, 17:18:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Electrocution is the worst - the portrait is flashing constantly during it, since each switch between the skeleton outline/normal appearance results in the portrait being regenerated.  My computer doesn't run the game too badly most of the time, but that slowed it right down. 
renee
Tasty Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2008 September 19, 17:29:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

How do you do this??
Gastfyr
Horrible Halfwit

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2008 September 19, 17:39:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I like this feature as well.  The good thing about the ugly poses is that they don't stay in those poses very long.   Wink

TS3: it's really cool if you don't look too closely! - bottles
Mandapotpie
Dimwitted Dunce

INFJ

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2008 September 19, 17:50:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Electrocution is the worst - the portrait is flashing constantly during it, since each switch between the skeleton outline/normal appearance results in the portrait being regenerated.  My computer doesn't run the game too badly most of the time, but that slowed it right down. 

Didn't someone in the bork thread say that the relationship panel and the phone book were taking forever to load due to having to get the most up-to-date portraits?

Knowledge is often mistaken for intelligence. This is like mistaking a cup of milk for a cow. If you never fail, you're not trying hard enough.
nekonoai
Weeaboo
Retarded Reprobate

Hell yeah.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: 2008 September 19, 18:38:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

<whine>
Pescado, can you make it NOT do this?
</whine>
ScoobyDoo
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2008 September 19, 21:31:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Didn't someone in the bork thread say that the relationship panel and the phone book were taking forever to load due to having to get the most up-to-date portraits?

I've had this happen one several occasions, especially when they have large list's of sims.
Duchess
sloppyhousewife
Lipless Loser

Plumber Zombie

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2008 September 20, 12:31:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Overwriting the fugly poses seems to work great. If anyone is interested, I've posted a "How To" in the Peasantry.

I cannot say if overwriting all poses with the same animation will improve the lag problem, though. Thankfully, I haven't experienced any lag with all the different poses, either.

Crash
Dimwitted Dunce

INFJ WTF?

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2008 September 20, 15:09:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hmm, it is possible the portraits regeneration crashed my game due to lightning strikes. I was on a vacation community lot, with really bad weather and hot springs = multiple lightning strikes on sims. Which eventually led to the game crashing. This 'feature' seems like a VBT.
I realize this can't be stopped all together, but can it be made to not do this all the time? I don't know exactly what kind memory clog we're talking about, but it certainly doesn't look good.

Question: does it somehow regenerate portraits even for non playable sims? Because that would be horribly bad.

Don't argue with an idiot. He will just drag you down to his level, then beat you with experience.
SharonSims
Asinine Airhead

Blue Riceball

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2008 September 20, 15:24:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I hate that stupid "new" feature, every one minute the pose change, cant they just have done it like the PS2 game that their portratits were animated...
Tsarina
Pinheaded Pissant

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2008 September 20, 15:50:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I hate that stupid "new" feature, every one minute the pose change, cant they just have done it like the PS2 game that their portratits were animated...

Imagine the LAG... My computer would say "fuck you" and die if every single portrait was animated. Animated portraits for 8 sims and some NPCs is a lot.
SharonSims, for some reason your AL-hate amuses me.
« Last Edit: 2008 September 20, 15:56:23 by Tsarina » Logged

INEPT INTP
Alex
Malodorous Moron

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2008 September 20, 16:43:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hmm, it is possible the portraits regeneration crashed my game due to lightning strikes. I was on a vacation community lot, with really bad weather and hot springs = multiple lightning strikes on sims. Which eventually led to the game crashing. This 'feature' seems like a VBT.
I realize this can't be stopped all together, but can it be made to not do this all the time? I don't know exactly what kind memory clog we're talking about, but it certainly doesn't look good.

Question: does it somehow regenerate portraits even for non playable sims? Because that would be horribly bad.
I've also noticed portraits changing simply whenever a sim is loaded, including whenever they simply come onto a lot (as a visitor). DO NOT WANT.
Crash
Dimwitted Dunce

INFJ WTF?

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2008 September 20, 17:31:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've also noticed portraits changing simply whenever a sim is loaded, including whenever they simply come onto a lot (as a visitor). DO NOT WANT.
Well, that would certainly explain the increased laggage/random crashes I've had on vacation lots; with sims coming and going all the time. The extra lightning strikes on 4 different hot springs didn't exactly help either.  Roll Eyes Seems to me like a path to BFBVFS.

I just had this depressing thought: that eaxis effectively borked the game so it will crash all the time with no hope of recovery - and that eaxis will ignore the borkage because they want people to buy sims 3 instead.   Sad

Don't argue with an idiot. He will just drag you down to his level, then beat you with experience.
BrokenRobot
Dimwitted Dunce

sekrit Republican

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: 2008 September 21, 15:01:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I would like this feature if they hadn't gone so overboard with it.  I don't pay enough attention to the poses to care that those change, but I have noticed the phonebook and relationship panels taking ridiculously long to load.  That is definitely something I Do Not Want.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: