More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 June 28, 11:28:17

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540275 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6519 Members
Latest Member: Gegahex
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Oops! You Broke It!
| | | |-+  Game crashes to desktop when trying to add a downtown
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Game crashes to desktop when trying to add a downtown  (Read 4178 times)
Gwill
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
Game crashes to desktop when trying to add a downtown
« on: 2008 May 09, 11:14:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

This seems familiar, but I can't remember where I've read about it before, and my quick and lazy search failed.

I'm creating a new neighbourhood with the intention of starting an apocalypse challenge, so adding a downtown is not actually necessary, but I'd rather like to anyway.
When I try to add a downtown, the game crashes to desktop during the "generating" phase.  This happens whether I use the default downtown template, or try to make a custom one.  I've tried with or without CC, same thing.
I'm running all EPs and SPs and using the FT post-patch no-CD crack from gamecopyworld.  I suspect that herein lies the root of my troubles, but I have no proof.

Are there any alternatives to gamecopyworld's cracked EXE?  I don't know what else to try.

Dibs on Darth Telligent!
INTJ bordering on P
Want to know where babies come from?
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
Re: Game crashes to desktop when trying to add a downtown
« Reply #1 on: 2008 May 09, 11:54:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Is there any evidence to support the idea of blaming the crack? Because I use the crack and I have no issues of crashing like this.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Gwill
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2008 May 09, 12:50:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

No evidence whatsoever, but if it isn't the crack, then it has to be the game files, which means I have to re-install if I want the problem fixed.  Therefore I'd rather make absolutely sure, and would like to explore other ways of hot-wiring the game.

Dibs on Darth Telligent!
INTJ bordering on P
nekonoai
Weeaboo
Retarded Reprobate

Hell yeah.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: 2008 May 09, 18:47:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I blame the patch.

don't patch.
seelindarun
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2008 May 09, 20:28:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Did you ever use the Pleasantview-Strange-Verona merged 'hood?  I think I remember reading that adding downtown 'hoods was a problem there... or I might be imagining I did.  Undecided
Madame Mim
Retarded Reprobate

Tards, Damned Tards and You Were Adopted.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2008 May 10, 04:15:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

There is definately an attached 'do not add new X-type hoods' caveat with the merged hoods (where x-type is the type of hood you used to trick the game into adding the merging hoods). It should not affect other neighbourhoods and/or stop them from having hoods added.
« Last Edit: 2008 May 10, 04:24:03 by Madame Mim » Logged

Mia kusenveturilo estas angiloplena.
notveryawesome
Stupid Schlemiel

INTJ. I like putting hats on my avatar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: 2008 May 10, 09:09:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

There was a warning, at first, but I think SarahMK later discovered that adding new downtowns didn't actually cause a problem. I could be wrong about this, though.

Disclaimer: I am condescending, arrogant, pedantic, and have a foot-shaped mouth. I also like to throw stones from my glass house. Resemblance to any persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.
Gwill
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2008 May 10, 17:40:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

No merged hoods in my game.  I've never played any of the maxis hoods, and have no intention to.

Dibs on Darth Telligent!
INTJ bordering on P
wyrdwing
Blathering Buffoon

Too lazy to be social

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2008 May 12, 11:52:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I had this problem but with bluewater (also no merged hoods and not using cd crack) and it crashed to desktop but it still actually created that hood but the terrain had giant holes missing in it. (Maxis Bluewater btw)
This only started happening after I installed Freetime though (patched) I reinstalled everything and added the hoods before I installed FT but I haven't tried it again.
I thought it may have something to do with either the empty hood templates which I probably borked and didn't backup properly or maybe when I patched the game.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: