More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 June 30, 18:52:10

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540275 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6519 Members
Latest Member: Gegahex
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Standard Skin Tone Values
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Standard Skin Tone Values  (Read 4177 times)
Deinarious
Asinine Airhead

No.

View Profile WWW
Standard Skin Tone Values
« on: 2008 March 04, 06:43:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yeah, hey, I'm Deinarious. I have been looking practically everywhere for values that could be put into the GIMP in converting, say, a pale skintone into a tan one, then tan into medium, then medium into dark. I checked a link at MTS2, where I've been a member since 2005 as jikken21, and found a blank space on a webpage. And it was from a site formated for my browser, FireFox. Anyhow, any help would be appreciated.

By the way, kudos to El Presidente for his awesome coding. I originally downloaded some of it from MTS2 when I first started playing TS2, which was before MTS2 required accounts for downloading... or was it when University came out? I don't know.Anyhow, like I said, I would appreciate any help, and also do hope to become a productive (and somewhat amusing) part of this community. And so concludes my first post.

HAI GAIS WUT'S GOIN' ON IN DIS THRAD?!
Emma
Goopy Lover
Dead Member

All Pescados Suck.

View Profile WWW
Re: Standard Skin Tone Values
« Reply #1 on: 2008 March 04, 06:55:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

vikitty
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2008 March 04, 07:56:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

So... you basically want to change the tint of a skintone to make it darker?
danicast
Blathering Buffoon

Everything is blue in this world.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: 2008 March 04, 08:22:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

values that could be put into the GIMP in converting, say, a pale skintone into a tan one
There is no such thing, you must calculate that according what you are previewing. If you darker, letīs say, 30% and then 30% more you can end with a lobster-skintone, cause when the luminosity changes also changes the saturation. You need to manually make one by one, compensating the saturation when you change the lightning. Itīs RGB, after all.

Gwill
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2008 March 05, 18:03:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You just need photoshop and the skills of an artist.  There's no magic tirck.

Dibs on Darth Telligent!
INTJ bordering on P
Want to know where babies come from?
danicast
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: 2008 March 05, 19:47:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You just need photoshop and the skills of an artist a color table that actually came with photoshop. There's no magic tirck.

Fixed.

Ellatrue
Terrible Twerp

ENFP, by popular request.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2008 March 05, 21:50:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

values that could be put into the GIMP in converting, say, a pale skintone into a tan one
There is no such thing, you must calculate that according what you are previewing. If you darker, letīs say, 30% and then 30% more you can end with a lobster-skintone, cause when the luminosity changes also changes the saturation. You need to manually make one by one, compensating the saturation when you change the lightning. Itīs RGB, after all.

You can, however, copy over the adjustment layers for each of the texture files for that skintone, so that they are all changed in the exact same way, and you only have to fiddle around with it once.

danicast
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: 2008 March 05, 23:20:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You can, however, copy over the adjustment layers for each of the texture files for that skintone, so that they are all changed in the exact same way, and you only have to fiddle around with it once.
True, but this doesnīt mean that you will have a good result for all skintones because they donīt have the same color levels, thatīs why I mentioned the "lobster effect". If you build a curve and apply the same curve to all 4 different skintones is most probable that doesnīt work for all of them, specially considering the drastic difference between the light one and the medium ones. Lobster effect is the most probable result (because when you make an image darker the reds automatically become more saturated) - or a skintone that has no lightning and become greyish.

HystericalParoxysm
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2008 March 06, 10:23:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Indeed, there are no standard values that will work for all skins.  Not all pale skintones are exactly the same shade, so you cannot apply the same filters/transformations to all pale skintones and expect the end results to match.  You generally have to do this by hand - putting your document-in-progress side by side with a document that looks like the shade you want to achieve can help.

You mentioned GIMP which I haven't used in a long time, but in Photoshop you have the option of using Actions.  I rather like using actions for recolouring skins as there's a pile of images to recolour, and it's generally easier to let it do it in batches... this is especially helpful if you have multiple filters/effects/etc. that you put each tone through before it's how you like it, i.e. from pale to tan you change the saturation, then the contrast, then the brightness in three different filters.  Just remember to deselect eyes and teeth on the faces before doing this or you'll end up with weirdness in those areas.  Perhaps GIMP has some sort of automated batch type function as well.

Also, something to bear in mind is that not all skintones -can- be recoloured well to other tones.  Pale skintones only have a limited range of colours included in the textures, so if you try to transform a pale skintone to dark, no matter what you do, you're probably going to end up with mud, not a dark skintone.  The information just isn't there to give you a sufficient range of highlights and shadows doing an extreme transformation like that - just as you can't go from a dark skintone to a light one with no problems either.  It can be done in certain circumstances, depending on your skill in your graphics program and what skin you're recolouring, but most of the time, if you want to take a skin and make a full range of it, you need to use a medium skintone, which will generally go dark and light a heck of a lot easier than starting at either end of the spectrum.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: